These final few weeks, i’ve focussed on adding content into my site via blog posts. For years, I’ve been unable to discern the difference between a blog post and a page – still can’t! The answer differs between each theme used. Within the template that i’m using, blog posts are more of a tool used for further learning. If blog posts are bus stops, then a page is the station. Utilizing the brochures and pamphlets we’ve made in the past, my team and I drafted up 5-10 blog posts in a matter of days. Though this wasn’t a very exciting process, the value it adds to the site is undeniable. As a matter of fact, two of my blog posts currently rank as the 3rd and 4th most popular pages within my site fon Google Analytics! What’s Google Analytics? I asked the same question just a few weeks ago. After hearing it mentioned incessantly on the internet, I finally decided to do some research. Google analytics is a tool used to track the viewers and your site, and even provides the demographics of your audience. Setting it up required me to exercise my HTML skills (which is always exhilarating) to insert snippets of code into my theme. It turns out that Google acts as a sort of ‘sovereign being’ on the internet. They decide the sites that gain popularity, influence web design, and even created market dedicated to pleasing Google: SEO (search engine optimization). SEO decides how pages rank and appear on search engines. The practice is incredibly finicky, and is my least favourite aspect of web design. Though this may be the case, I spent two entire weeks trying to learn this mysterious art (most of SEO is dependent on speculation). I created meta descriptions (the excerpts of a page that appear on search queries) for all pages of the site, and re-wrote some of the content to emphasize certain keywords. Because of my efforts, “the pollinator project” now ranks 4th on most search engines! This is a remarkable feat for the age of my site, as older domains tend to receive more backlinks (links to your site), which in turn increase authority. After this venture, I tried applying the basic coding skills that I’ve accumulated over the past three months. In order to add dynamic elements to my site, and customize other functions, I decided to edit CSS through the customization panel. I customized some fonts and created some image effects, but my crowning achievement was making the header sticky. This means that it stays at the top of the screen at all times, allowing visitors to navigate with ease.
I started this project aiming to create a mediocre informational web page for my team. The entire project cost no more than 14$, and I even left me with time to pursue basic coding! Thanks to the help of my mentor and peers, I received all the guidance and support needed to irrefutably obliterate my goal. A special shout out to my neighbor Leo who runs a blog on cool tech gifts.
Check out my previous in-depth post!